Most people go on with their lives without thinking about their garage doors. Your door may function perfectly well and not have any issues until there is a sudden problem. Fixing a garage door can be one of the most tedious repairs you need to do in your home. The best thing you can do is use a garage door repair service to avoid any mishaps.
A Broken Garage Door Is a Big Issue
While it may seem like a broken garage door won’t affect the normal flow of life inside the house, it can lead to injury or loss. A garage door weighs hundreds of pounds, and we don’t feel the weight because of the automatic mechanisms. If your garage door shows signs of fault, you need to have it fixed before it crushes a car, a pet, or even a child. With that said, modern doors have more safety precautions, but you can’t rely on them all the time.
Aside from the door suddenly closing, a garage door that isn’t closing will leave your home exposed. We often leave some valuable belongings inside the garage, especially if we don’t have enough space inside the house. It’s easy for a passerby to intrude and pick something from inside the garage without you knowing. Having it fixed will prevent temptation of theft.
Noise can also be a concern if you prefer a quiet space. A noisy garage door will require some replacements and routine maintenance. Any small issue can lead to the garage door failing to open, leaving you stranded at home when you want to go out. A garage door can break down within 10 to 15 years without proper maintenance.
Most of the time, routine maintenance will help fix any minor issues. Ideally, you want to have scheduled maintenance every year to help prolong its lifespan. Here are the things usually checked by professionals:
● Cables and pulleys: These are the parts of the garage door that wear out over time. They also have springs in their mechanisms, which are prone to damage. If any need replacing, they will let you know.
● Door balance: The movement of the garage door bears minimal weight thanks to springs and the motor. If any of these parts begin losing their durability, it will stress the rest of the parts.
● Rollers and tracks: Your door’s rollers will need cleaning and lubrication. Bearings are also prone to accumulating dirt, which accelerates wear and tear.
● Brackets and bolts: Continued use of the garage door can lead to some of the bolts and screws loosening. Maintenance will help check each one and secure them before they develop into a major problem.
● Automatic systems: The maintenance team will also check if the door responds correctly when opening and closing. The check will include the auto-reverse feature. Many garage doors lift if they detect an obstacle on their way down. It is a safety measure that needs maintenance.
Aside from maintenance and repairs, there are also other issues you may encounter. These are uncommon occurrences, but if it does happen to you, you can call for professional help:
The winter season can generate ice that seals your garage door to the floor. At times, simply opening it will break the ice, and your garage door will function as normal. However, if it does not move after the first attempt, do not press the open button again. The ice might be so thick that the mechanism doesn’t have enough strength to break it.
If you insist on trying to get the door open, the door’s motor could burn out. Stressing it could also damage many of the door’s springs and gears, leading to a costly repair. Using a hairdryer or a tool that can chip away at the ice might work.
Faulty Door Opener
You can open and close the garage door with a simple press of a button. If the button stops working, then you will find your plans derailed. You may need to reset your breaker and check the motor. If you’re using a remote control, then you may want to move closer to verify the range or change the batteries. If the problem persists, call for help.
A baseball or other throwable equipment can find its way to your garage door window. Broken glass can be dangerous, and the opening will invite insects, birds, or other critters to enter the garage. The good news is that replacing the window on a garage door is the same as replacing glass inside your home. If you’re already familiar with the process, then you can repair it yourself.
A1 Garage Door Service: All the Help You Need
Located in La Vista, Nebraska, A1 Garage Door Service has helped fix many issues in the area and beyond. They also have repair services offered in Gresham, Oregon. Trained professionals know how to spot problems and resolve issues so that you can get back to normal. No one wants a broken garage door, and they’re here to ensure that you get exceptional services.
If you’re looking for garage door repair in Nebraska, do not hesitate to inquire about their services. They offer competitive prices and tailor-made solutions.