An early early morning condominium fireplace in Lincoln Heights on Tuesday remaining the Benitez spouse and children homeless.
“My son is 17 years outdated but his screams were of a baby contacting mom for protection,” said mom Elitania Benitez.
“I wake up and I see there is fireplace. Then I wake up my brother. And then my brother commences hysterically yelling,” included daughter Mariachristina Benitez.
The household is grateful to be alive but does not have the suggests to transfer elsewhere.
Substantially of their possessions were ruined, and the household has been living in the parking lot outdoors their burned-out device ever since.
“The landlord doesn’t want to supply any assist for us. They propose us stay right here right up until we get a fire report and relying on fire report is how a lot assist we’ll get,” reported son Gabriel Benitez.
The local community has stepped up, boosting cash for the loved ones by means of a GoFundMe, as effectively as folks who end by with food and outfits.
“These individuals have dignity. These are inhumane ailments. The landlord must be stepping up to be in a position to do what’s proper, and she has not responded,” reported fundraiser Rudy Lopez.
In spite of dropping anything at the moment, the relatives is counting their blessings.
“Just noticing, I have dropped it all. Then waking up to the morning, viewing this is our actuality and we have to defeat this and I know we will. I believe that there is something better out there for us,” Mariachristina explained.
Recommend a Correction